When you have a baby and start researching the safest, healthiest baby products, you get hit with the realization that there’s a whole lot to learn! From food to cleaning products to personal care items, there are simple steps you can take to start a non-toxic lifestyle. You don’t have to change everything at once, so don’t feel intimidated. Get started with these tips.
1. Freshen Your Food: You don’t have to go completely organic to clean up your eating. Start by switching a few key items to organic (like the Dirty Dozen list) and avoiding problematic ingredients like artificial dyes (which are linked to hyperactivity and other risks) and high fructose corn syrup. Stick to whole food ingredients when possible and you’ll make a big difference!
2. Clean Out Your Cosmetics: Questionable ingredients like parabens, phthalates, synthetic fragrances, artificial dyes, and even antibacterial agents can hide in makeup, perfume, and personal care products like lotion and soap. Brands like Beautycounter offer quality cosmetics and beauty products that avoid known harmful ingredients. Au Naturale is another brand that offers cosmetics made with high quality ingredients - and their makeup is also free of animal products.
3. Wise Up Your Washing: Cleaning, air freshening, and laundry products may contain harsh ingredients like chemical surfactants, antibacterial treatments, and artificial fragrances. The Environmental Working Group has a Guide to Healthy Cleaning, which ranks cleaning products so you can decode labels and pick safer products. You don’t even have to splurge on specialty cleaners - baking soda and vinegar do the trick just fine, or pick a common green brands like Molly’s Suds, Babyganics, Seventh Generation or Biokleen.
4. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Reduce your waste by participating in your city’s local recycling program if available. You can also re-use glass jars to store leftovers or upcycle an old tee shirt into a throw pillow. By reducing waste and shopping secondhand instead of brand new, you’ll reduce your carbon footprint, which makes the Earth a little happier.
5. Baby Your Baby: Your baby is particularly at risk from home toxins since their body is still developing. This is one baby step that is very important as you plan a baby registry or outfit your nursery. Avoid harmful chemicals, including flame retardants, phthalates, vinyl, and formaldehyde - we make it easy when you shop Lullaby Earth for your baby’s crib mattress and accessories.
Ready, Set, Go Non-Toxic!
We hope these tips have helped explain how easy it can be to start a non-toxic lifestyle! Which tip will you try first?