The baby bump. It’s adorable, it’s a weird new center of gravity, and it’s something that makes strangers forget all about personal boundaries. During pregnancy, your body will shift and grow and change in all sorts of new ways. So how do you take care of your growing baby bump? Our tips and recommendations will help you keep a happier bump with healthier products.
1. Moisturize: As your bump grows, your skin is stretching and probably feels super itchy. Whether or not you’re prone to stretch marks, you need to keep your skin moisturized to reduce itchiness and promote healthier skin. We love Zoe Organics Belly Oil, Earth Mama Body Butter from Earth Mama Angel Baby and this Coconut Nourishing Body Cream from 100% Pure. Look for natural moisturizers like aloe vera, coconut oil, shea butter, and cocoa butter, as well as Vitamin E.
2. Get Some Rest: Sometimes the best action you can take is no action at all. Sleeping through the night gets tricky as your bump grows and makes it hard to find a comfortable position. Get some rest whenever you can, with naps or breaks during the day, and put your feet up to reduce the pressure in your legs, ankles, and feet. Growing a baby is hard work! Find something on Netflix and take a break, mama. If you need a little help relaxing, try a pillow spray made with lavender or another calming scent, like this one from Goddess of Spring.
3. Keep it Clean: Lots of commercial body washes and soaps can be drying, which means you’ll be reaching for even more lotions to moisturize! Cut down on the quantity when you improve the quality of your body wash. Earth Mama has a Happy Mama Body Wash to go along with the Body Butter we already recommended above, with a pleasant ginger citrus scent and non-irritating formula for a happier bump. We also love Real Purity, with options like Hydrating Body Soap and a moisturizing Fragrance-Free Body Wash.
4. Practice Good Posture: Your growing bump is sure to make your center of gravity and your posture out of whack. Talk to your doctor about pregnancy-safe core exercises and pay attention to your posture, making sure your pelvis isn’t tilted to overcompensate for the weight of your belly.
5. Don’t Forget About Postpartum Care: Your belly may not have a baby inside anymore, but postpartum care should continue to include your healthier skincare routine - especially if you’ve had a C-Section. Earth Mama’s C-Mama Healing Salve is a great option to take care of a healing incision and reduce scarring. You’ve got enough on your plate with a new bundle of joy, so a high-quality skincare product is one less thing you have to worry about.
Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy and a happy baby bump!