Does your baby tend to sleep hot, or just can't get comfortable?
Perhaps a breathable mattress is just what you need. Breathable mattresses have a porous surface that allows air to flow right underneath the baby, allowing moisture to escape and fresh cool air to circulate.
To explain this better, imagine you were driving your car on a hot day but your air conditioning was broken. After a while, your back will start to get sweaty because there's no air circulation between your back and the seat cushion. How refreshing would it feel to finally get out of the car and stand up?
Babies who tend to sleep hot can feel like that on a crib mattress. They are too weak to reposition on their own and get the airflow going. With a breathable crib mattress, there is no need because the baby is surrounded on all sides by air.
What are my options?
There are many different designs and models of breathable crib mattresses available. But there are big differences in effectiveness and practicality. Make sure you don't sacrifice key features in exchange for breathability! Below, we will explain why the Lullaby Earth Breeze is the most effective solution to breathability.
How easy is it to clean?
New parents, be warned: those diapers don't hold everything in!
If the surface of the crib mattress is not waterproof, every drop of drool, spit up, urine, and who knows what is going straight down into the mattress. Now the air circulating under and around your baby is full of mold spores and bacteria. Yuck!
Believe it or not, most "breathable" crib mattresses on the market CANNOT be cleaned. Period. It sounds crazy, but it's true. Many mattresses claiming to be breathable are just a regular crib mattress with a non-waterproof fabric surface instead of a waterproof surface. This is not something we would recommend; good luck getting the stains and smell out of that!
Some companies claim that their whole breathable mattress is washable – they say you can just take it in the shower and hose it down. Sound easy? We don't think so, for many reasons. First, even in the shower, you can't properly clean the inside of the mattress, which is basically like a giant sponge. You can only hope that the water rinses all of the urine (and other unmentionables) out completely. Also, the mattress must be air dried, which could take many hours. So the obvious question is, where is your baby sleeping while you are hosing down and drying her crib mattress? A crib mattress should never be in an unusable state. And, quite frankly, who has the time to shower with a mattress when you have a million other things to do? Sounds like a hassle!
The Lullaby Earth Breeze
The Lullaby Earth Breeze solves all these problems! It consists of 2 separate parts: 1) The waterproof mattress core, 2) The removable super-breathable cover. The cover is machine washable so you can keep your mattress clean and hygienic. The core is waterproof so it can always be wiped down. With this combination, you get breathability at the surface without worrying about ruining your mattress and diaper leaks. If the cover is in the wash, your baby can still sleep on the mattress, so you never need to worry! Or optionally, keep an extra cover on hand so even at 3 AM, you can replace the soiled cover and get back to sleep.
Advanced 3D honeycomb structure creates a cushion of air underneath the baby for true airflow and breathability.
Innovative design allows the mattress surface to be easily removed and washed. No additional mattress pad required (machine wash & dry).
The cover securely hugs the back of the mattress with its full elastic perimeter for a safe snug fit. Tailored for a tight fitting seamless design.
Enhanced breathability is great, but only if you don't have to compromise on other time tested necessities. Here are some of the most important features that the Lullaby Earth Breeze continues to offer along with breathability:
1. Super lightweight – For easy sheet changing. When it's 2 AM and you need to change the sheets, you will be happy that the mattress is easy to lift!
2. Strong edge support – Crib mattress edges take a lot of abuse, especially once your baby can hold onto the crib rail and jump. Weak edge support can become an entrapment hazard if a foot slides between the mattress and crib.
3. Firm flat surface – An important recommendation from the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
4. Durable construction – So you don't have to buy a new mattress for every child!
5. Non-toxic materials - The waterproof surface on the core is approved for food contact. Mattress is entirely free of PVC, phthalates, polyurethane foam, and flame retardants (of course they still pass federal flammability tests). GREENGUARD Gold certified.
6. Adaptable - The mattress core can be used as a standalone crib mattress without the airflow cover, in case the cover is in the wash.
7. Waterproof and easy to clean – So you can spend your time with your baby and not cleaning your mattress!